On June 18, Pope Francis delivered his encyclical on the environment, where one of his last points focused on the Sunday keeping, comparing it with the Biblical Sabbath, the Seventh Day. He said Sunday is important for healing our relationships with God and others, and that it motivates us to take care of the nature and the poor. 1
Later, the same day, President Barack Obama said the following in a press release through the White House:
– I welcome His Holiness Pope Francis’s encyclical, and deeply admire the Pope’s decision to make the case – clearly, powerfully, and with the full moral authority of his position – for action on global climate change. 2
United States to lead the world in the climate issue
On August 3, Obama spoke on the climate again, as he delivered the Clean Power Plan to the nation. He mentioned Pentagon, that said climate is a threat on the nation’s security, and that United States need to lead the world in the climate issue.
– If we don’t get it right, we may not be able to reverse, Obama underlined.
He then pointed specifically how America has already done many actions toward a better climate.
– If we want to protect our economy, security and our children’s health we have to do more….We are going to talk about what the world can do together, he said. He was afraid that we may not be able to stop the development of the climate problem unless we deal with it in the right way.
Catholic influence on America
Later in his speech he pointed out several persons who had done an important work for the climate last years. One of them is Sister Joan Marie Steadman. She is executive director for The Leadership Conference of Women Religious, an association of the leaders of congregations of Catholic women religious in the United States. They represent approximately 80 percent of the 51,600 Catholics in the United States. The conference develops leadership, promotes collaboration within church and society, and serves as a voice for systemic change. 4
– She has been rallying Catholic women across the country to take on the climate….And she’s got a pretty important guy on her side”, Obama said with a big smile on his face.
– As Pope Francis made clear in his encyclical this summer, taking a stand on the climate is a moral obligation. And sister Steadman has been living up on that obligation every single day. Now, let’s be clear, there will be critics on what we are trying to do, he said continuing his speech.
It is significant that Catholics are getting more and more powerful in American politics and in the country structures. United States have a Catholic vice president, six Catholic Supreme Court justices, a Catholic Speaker of the House, and a large number of Catholics in Congress. 5
Pope Francis and President Obama will discuss more
Next month, we know that Pope Francis is coming to America to address the US Congress and United Nations, to meet with Barack Obama to discuss climate, and other things. So it looks Pope Francis and United States will join hands in fighting the climate, and lead the world. If Obama will keep standing behind Pope Francis’ statement that “taking a stand on the climate is a moral obligation”, you can be sure that the Pope’s suggestion of keeping Sunday for the climate will be more discussed later on.
The climate is important, and we need to take care of the earth as well as one another. But we know from the Bible that United States and the Papacy will join hands, and lead the world into a false system of worship, with Sunday keeping in the center. The American bonds with the Papacy is indeed getting stronger, standing together to lead the world on the climate and other issues.
We don’t know exactly when the two beasts of Revelation 13 wholly will join forces, but keep your eyes open, study your Bible, and get ready.
Want more stories from Empower Missions? Subscribe and follow us on Facebook.
If you are interested in learning more about United States and the Catholic Church in Bible prophecy, try our free online Bible course!
[teaser url=”https://www.empowermissions.org/study/” title=”Free Online Bible School” post=”870″ ]Study…[/teaser]