The secret rapture theory is based on eight premises that have been so widely embraced that most people accept them as fact without pausing to investigate. However, our only safety is to search the Scriptures daily to determine whether those things are so (Acts 17:11). The eight points of the secret rapture theory are as follows:
1. The rapture is silent.
2. The rapture is invisible.
3. The rapture leaves the wicked alive.
4. God removes the righteous to protect them from the tribulation.
5. Christ’s second coming will be in two stages: (1) the secret rapture, and (2) the actual coming, which will be glorious.
6. These two stages of the second coming will be seven years apart.
7. The rapture will take place before the revelation of the Antichrist, who then will bring about the tribulation.
8. The wicked will at this point have a second chance to be converted and to serve Christ.
To examine these points fully is beyond the scope of this limited supplement, but we will briefly cover each point here. Points one and two were covered in this lesson, but they are mentioned again for emphasis. Prepare for some surprises!
1. The rapture is not silent, but rather is extremely noisy. The Scriptures say Jesus will descend “with a SHOUT, with the VOICE OF THE ARCHANGEL, and with the TRUMP OF GOD.” 1 Thessalonians 4:16, emphasis added. David says, “Our God shall come, and shall not keep silence: … it shall be very tempestuous [violent, whirling] round about him.” Psalms 50:3. And Jeremiah says, “The Lord shall roar from on high, … he shall mightily roar … he shall give a shout. … A noise shall come even to the ends of the earth.” Jeremiah 25:30, 31. Nothing about it is quiet! Christ will come with a noise heard around the world. Mark this well. If you are living when Jesus returns, you will hear Him come. Your ears will ring with catastrophic noise.
2. The rapture is not invisible it will be seen by all. All of the angels will come with Jesus (Matthew 25:31). One lone angel appeared at Jesus’ resurrection, and his brightness was so overpowering that the entire Roman guard fell to the ground as dead men (Matthew 28:2-4). Consider the staggering brightness of all the angels of heaven! Added to the glory of the angels will be Jesus’ own glory (Matthew 25:31) and the glory of His Father (Matthew 16:27). The brightness will be overwhelming. Jesus added, “For as the lightning cometh out of the east, shineth even unto the west so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.” Matthew 24:27. Secret? By no stretch of the imagination. In fact, the Bible forever settled this by saying, “Behold, he cometh with clouds and every eye shall see him.” Revelation 1:7. Rest assured, if you are living at Jesus’ second coming, you will see Him come!
3. The rapture does not leave the wicked alive. They are slain at the Lord’s coming (Isaiah 11:4 Malachi 4:1 2 Thessalonians 2:8).
4. God does not remove the righteous from the tribulation, but rather protects them through it (Psalms 91:5-12).
5. Christ’s second coming will not be in two stages – one secret and the other seen by all. There is only one second coming, and it will be seen by every living person on earth. There is no Scripture to support a two-phase second coming.
6. The secret rapture teachers claim that there is a seven-year period between the two second comings of Christ. This is not scriptural.
7. Antichrist does not appear three and one-half years after the second coming of Jesus. He has been active for centuries (1 John 4:3) and is doing his nefarious work even now.
8. The wicked will not have a second opportunity to be saved after the second coming. All sinners will be destroyed at the second coming. There is no second opportunity for anyone after Jesus’ second coming.
Learn more about the misconceptions about a supposed Secret Rapture.